Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Hit That Changed It All


    I remember the day like it was yesterday. It was a warm summers day. My baseball team the Pewaukee Pirates had a tournament that day at Five Fields. We went in there knowing that it would be a tough that we would be playing tough teams. 

We were wining all the games up until the semi-finals. We had to verse Waunakee. They were much harder than the other teams. When we played the first inning we were couldn't make an outs. After the first inning it was 3 to 1. We were starting to lose this game. All of my teammates were thinking that we are going to lose, but after a couple more innings things were looking better, the score was 6 to 5 in the ninth inning. It was the last inning. We ended up tying them 6 to 6. Then we went into extra innings.

They put the California rule into effect. Which means the batting team starts out with a man on 2nd and one out. We held them for there at bat. Then it was our turn. So my teammate in front of me got to go on second base. So when I was up to bat the first pitch was a ball and the catcher missed the ball so my teammate stole 3rd. Then he threw it 4 more pitches. Two were strikes and 2 were balls. The count was full. Then pressure was on. I stepped up to the plate, as he got ready to pitch the ball. Then as I saw the ball leave his hand I thought about all the time that is I had let my team down but not doing what I was supposed to do. But this time it was going to be different. Then as I swung the bat as hard as I could,  I heard the pop of the bat as it hit the ball. It hit the ground and when right to the short stop I started to run to first I while I was watching my teammate run to home plate. I looked at him when he slide into the plate. As I stood on first base my team watched suspense, the umpire said safe as I cheered for joy. After my coach ran towards me and lifted me up onto his shoulders as my team cheered for me. So even though we went on to lose the champion chip game I still felt proud about myself for helping my team. 

No comments:

Post a Comment